remember how they NEVER USED THIS AGAIN EVER
remember when demons were the worst thing on this show?
Remember when they didn’t even know what a demon was? What the hell was John doing when he was hunting? jfc the boys have learned more in 8 years than Papa Winchester did in 22
“Any ideas for the new park sculpture?”
“How about a giant, metallic octopus attacking a rook?”
that’s cool as fuck though
Excuse you that is not just a rock that is a chess piece
It says ROOK not ROCK
Share a Coke with Sherlock
“Share a coke with Sherlock” is some pretty unfortunate phrasing given what we know about the guy’s drug habits.
unfortunate phrasing again
How the fuck does Bill Nye expect this to happen? What do you want to do, force women to enroll in science courses, regardless of whether or not they want to do it? Just for the sake of having “enough” women? Why the fuck do these fractions matter so much? It’s not like people are holding guns to our head and threatening to kill us if we become interested in science.
Maybe, just maybe, a lot of us DON’T FUCKING WANT to be scientists. Is that a crime?
Hi there, princess-munchkin. Female engineering student here.
Bill Nye is not saying that you HAVE to be a scientist, and you are right that no one is holding a gun to my head because I am interested in science, but let me tell you some of the struggles of being a woman in the STEM fields.
1) Because I am a woman, I am not expected these fields. I first fully realized this when I was in high school, on my robotics team. See, although my robotics team was about 50% female, most of the women were part of the “business administration” side of things: finance, marketting, PR, membership, etc. Was this a problem? Absolutely not. But I was there to be an engineer, and specifically, to be the robot programmer. This was met with a lot of hesitation at first from some of the other students (all of whom happened to be male. This is not necessarily a bad thing.) You see, all of the robot programmers before me were guys. Computer programming is just a thing that guys do, or so they thought. Even after I had proved myself to the mentors on the team, many of the students still underestimated my abilities. There were rumors going around that I wouldn’t have been able to program the robot at all if the lead software mentor wasn’t there to help me. This was just flat-out false, but it wasn’t until I won an award for the team that the other students actually saw my merit.
2) There is not a lot of encouragement for women to go into these fields. I first noticed this when I was in elementary school. I was always interested in math, science, you name it, but many of my teachers and family members pushed that to the side for a long time. When I asked for legos for christmas, I would get ballet slippers. In fact, for a long time, I was training to be a professional dancer. I loved to dance. I loved math more, but no one seemed to notice that about me. It wasn’t until I had a long conversation with one particular teacher in high school that I decided to look into engineering. I had never even considered it as an option before, because no one decided to encourage me to pursue my interest in science. If it hadn’t been for that teacher, I would probably not be at the school I am at right now.
3) For a long time, Engineering/Science/Math WAS a “boys only” club. Let me tell you when some of the top technical schools and societies started letting women in:
- RPI, The oldest tech school in the country, founded in 1824. Started admitting women in 1942 to “replace men called to war.” Campus housing for women wasn’t constructed until 1966.
- Tau Beta Pi, the Engineering Honors Society - Founded in 1885. Started admitting women in 1968.
- Caltech - Currently rated #3 in undergraduate engineering. Founded in 1891. Started admitting women in 1970.
- Georgia Tech - Currently rated #5 in undergraduate engineering. Founded in 1885. Started admitting women in 1952.
Do you see the implications of this? Engineering has been a part of our society since around the late 1800s (in the case of RPI, since the 1820s), but women weren’t even allowed in for the most part until the 1950s, regardless of their merit.
4) Because of the fact that it was a “boys only” club for such a long time, there are not a lot of women engineers and scientists to look up to. When you’re reading your physics, chemistry, and math text books, the majority of those theories were came up with by men. It is true that much of our history was written by White Men, but this does not mean that the fact that there are few women scientists to look up does not matter.
So, as you can hopefully see, princess-munckin, or anyone else that shares the opinions of princess-munchkin, Bill Nye was not arguing that women that are not interested in STEM should go into those fields anyway. But he IS arguing against all of the systematic barriers set up against women who ARE interested in engineering and science. There are several women out there who are just as good as the boys at math and science, but will never pursue their interests because it just doesn’t seem like an option. That was me for a long time. I am super grateful for the fact that I fought against that, and that I ended up where I am.
if you don’t like science, fine. Don’t be a scientist. But if one day you have a daughter and she shows interest in being a scientist, PLEASE encourage her. Because Bill Nye is right, there needs to be more women scientists in the world.
The best part is this isn’t even edited. It actually happened.
4th wall? What forth wall?
THIS SCENE. THIS SCENE RIGHT HERE IS WHAT MADE ME LOVE SUPERNATURAL.
When I saw this scene my mom says, “Did you notice the only problem he had with it was that they were brothers, not that they thought he was gay?”
I think I love your mom.
Wait this is a LEGIT SCENE?
If there is one thing that is absolutely certain, it’s that Jared Padalecki is very good at his job. It is also common knowledge that genre shows are usually left out of prestigious award ceremonies and are generally lacking in the recognition they often deserve. As a result, there are some very talented actors and actresses who go unrecognized and unrewarded for the brilliant portrayals they bring to the screen.
Jared Padalecki is one of those people. Regularly going up against actors who are just as good as well as oftentimes being seasoned veterans, Jared continually proves to the audience that he can not only hold his own, but go above and beyond what the basic expectations are for his portrayal of Sam Winchester.
Jared has many skills that are incredibly rare in an actor, skills that are apparent to even me, a person who is about as skilled in theater as a fish is on land. As said before, Jared is routinely paired with actors and actresses who are not only extremely good at what they do, but also have three times the experience that he does and each time, Jared holds his own. And not only does he hold his own, but he has chemistry with every single one of them. He listens, he reacts, he responds to what’s going on around him, to the actions of the people he is working with. He’s always present, always alert, always changing and adapting, taking risks and putting so much passion into each of those risks that they nearly always pay off.
And it’s not only the fact that he is naturally a wonderful actor but the fact that the character he is now most known for, Sam Winchester, has been put through the ringer in every single way possible. Jared has played everything from a man without a soul, to an intellectually gifted, empathetic man, a demon and a leviathan, Lucifer himself, an addict, and all the way to a man who lost nearly everything but still managed to save the world.
It’s not to say that he is more talented than his co-stars, but that Jared is just as good. He has a huge amount of talent, of sincerity in his portrayals, of love for what he does and a hell of an ability to adapt and change and knock it out of the park each time. And that needs be recognized and acknowledged as often as possible.
Sam Winchester eats Jam.
Sam Winchester sends junk mail
Sam Winchester retains water
Sam Winchester has 3 finals tomorrow
Sam Winchester eats seafood.
Sam Winchester neglects his chlidren.
you did not
did u just?